The Canadian Provost Corps
1946 - 1968
Lieutent J.L. Cullen in the early 1960s. He is wearing a 1954 Pattern Battldress Blouse with a light khaki shirt and an Officer pattern fawn lampwick necktie. Note the gilt Officer pattern cap badge on the Coloured Service Dress Cap.
The primary winter field and service dress uniform of the postwar Canadian Army was essentially the same as the wartime army, ie: battledress. Second World War vintage battledress was worn until about 1947, when a new pattern battledress was adopted. It was similar in style to the earlier pattern, but the blouse had lapels and was intended to be worn with the collar open. It also lacked the seam down the center of the back. The new pattern trousers were similar to the Second World War issue, but were made without the field dressing pocket on the right thigh. Second World War vintage and the new battledresses were worn concurrently until the early 1950's, when existing stocks of wartime battledress were exhausted. Battledress was in wear by the Regular army until at least 1970 and was worn by some Reserve units as late as 1974.
The first of the new patterns of battledress blouse was introduced in 1947 and is sometimes known as "1947 Pattern", although the official designation was simply Battledress Blouse, Serge. A "1949 Pattern" was adopted 2 years later, and in 1954 the designation Jacket, Man's, Battledress 1954 was adopted as a sealed pattern.
Battledress Blouses, Serge, 1947 and 1949
The new pattern battledress was made of the same greenish brown wool serge as the wartime pattern. The design was generally similar, but the postwar pattern had an open collar and there were two seams on the blouse body, located under the arms.
Rear view of the blouse. Note the two pleats and the lack of a center seam.
Collar detail showing the new pattern lapels.
The zig-zag stitching on the under side of the 1947 collar is similar to the stitching on wartime blouse collars. This feature is not found on post 1947 made blouses.
Detail of the collar showing the position of the concealed top collar button.
Typical manufacturer's ink stamped label.
Typical manufacturer's label on a 1949 blouse.
Typical manufacturer's label on a 1949 blouse made in 1952.
Battledress Blouse, Serge, 1954
In 1954 a new designation for battledress was adopted. This did not appear to involve any major design changes, but was simply a nomenclature change.
Front view of a sealed pattern Battledress Blouse, Serge, 1954. This example was sealed in 1959 and resealed in 1968.
Detail of the sealed pattern tags.
Typical manufacturer's label for a 1954 blouse made in 1963.
Corporal, Commonwealth Provost Company, Korea c1954. The blouse is worn with an open collar dark green bush shirt. The red scarf was adopted by the Company in 1953. The Commonwealth Division distinguishing patch is worn midway between the Canadian Provost Corps shoulder title and the rank insignia. The buff chevrons on the rank insignia have been whitened. A black plastic Acme Thunderer whistle is attached to the Provost pattern whisle lanyard. Whitened 1937 Pattern web equipment is worn, the Browning Hi power pistol is secured to a white lanyard looped around the right shoulder. Headwear is the wool winter cap.
The Canadian 25 Brigade distinguishing patch is worn midway between the shoulder title and the rank insignia.
Both the PROVOST and red and black MP brassard appear to have been worn at various times in Korea, the PROVOST brassard is more commonly seen.
A whitened early pattern Trade Group 2 badge is worn on the sleeve.
Battledress Blouse of Captain M.A.S. Pittman circa 1969.
Officer's battledress was identical to that worn by the Other Ranks, although officers could have uniforms privately made. This blouse, circa 1969, has the normal rank and Provost shoulder titles. The blouse is worn with a private purchase Terylene shirt and green nylon necktie.
If you accessed this page from an outside link or search engine and do not see a navigation bar on the left side of the page, click HERE to go to the Canadian Military Police Virtual Museum main page.