One of the first postwar uniform innovations was the introduction of the Bush Uniform in 1949. This uniform was essentially an updated version of the war time Khahi Drill uniform. It consisted of a jacket, long trousers, short trousers, shirt, hat, and brassard. A woman's version of the jacket and trousers was also produced in relatively limited numbers. Made from cotton drill material, Bush was dark olive green (O.D. Number 7)and was immediately popular as it could be either worn as a field or fatigue uniform or starched and pressed for garrison wear. The jacket had an open collar and 4 patch pockets. The jacket could be worn as a shirt, with the sleeves rolled. A separate belt of the same material was supplied. The new brassard was much larger than the war time issue and could accomodate a shoulder title, formation badge and rank insignia. The brassard was worn on both arms or only on the right arm, according to local dress instructions. The Bush uniform was worn as a summer field uniform until the introduction of the combat uniform in the 1960s. It was worn by the Reserves as a field and garrison uniform as late as 1974.
Late 1950s issue jacket. Early dated jackets appear to have brown plastic buttons, green plastic buttons are seen on later manufactured jackets. The belt buckle is black anodised aluminum.
Rear view of the above jacket.
Typical sewn on label on early production jackets.
Typical printed label on late manufactured jackets.
Bush uniform shorts.
Bush shorts label.
Bush armlet worn by WO Don Tresham, C PRO C 1960s. The faint diamond shape in the center is where a Mobile Command distinguishing patch was removed. As was common practice in the Provost Corps, the light buff areas of the rank insignia have been whitened.
Woman's pattern bush jacket. Note the front closing is reversed on women's jackets. The belt buckle is green plastic.
Rear view of the women's jacket.