A number of Canadian Provost Corps NCOs served as Regimental Police in Infantry parachute companies. As well, Provost officers were seconded to Infantry companies as platoon and company commanders. These Provost Corps members were fully qualified as parachutists and were issued with jump smocks, jumper's helmets and boots.
The British Denison Smock was adopted for Airborne troops in 1942. The Smock had two breast pockets and two waist pockets and was made of a heavy denim like cotton material. A length of material known as the "donkey tail" was stitched to the bottom back of the jacket. It was brought forward between the legs and secured by snaps in front in order to prevent the jacket billowing up during jumps. It was secured to the back by 2 snaps when not actually jumping. The Smock went through a number of modifications and variants culminating with a full zipper front version introduced just after the end of the Second World War. Denison Smocks of wartime and postwar manufacture were worn by Canadian paratroops into the 1950s. They were completely replaced by the Jacket, Airborne, Nylon by the late 1950s.
The Parachutist's Smock, or "Jacket, Airborne, Nylon" was trialed in 1950 and introduced into service in 1951 as a replacement for the British Denison Smock of Second World War vintage. Unlike the Dennison, the new jacket was not produced in a camouflage pattern. It was lighter weight than the Denison and was preferred by most users. It was worn over the battledress or bush uniform, and later over the combat uniform. Rank insignia was worn on the epaulettes by officers and on the sleeves or cuffs by Warrant Officers and NCOs.
The jacket had two breast pockets, two expanding waist pockets and a full width pocket in the back. As with the Denison, a "donkey tail" was stitched to the bottom back of the jacket. It was brought forward between the legs and secured by snaps in front in order to prevent the jacket billowing up during jumps. It was secured to the back by 2 snaps when not actually jumping. Manufacture of the jacket ceased around 1958 but it remained in wear until the adoption of the Canadian Pattern DPM camouflage jump smock in the mid 1970's.