Immediately following the end of the Second World War, there was a rapid reduction in the strength of the Canadian Armed Forces. The RCAF was reduced to a few thousand men, and the RCAF Service Police was reduced to 4 Officers and 68 men. Over the next few years, the Canadian Armed Forces was slowly rebuilt, with Canada becoming a founding member of NATO. RCAF air bases were modernised in Canada and RCAF bases were located in France and West Germany as part of the Canadian NATO commitment.
As the RCAF expanded, it was completely reorganized and modernized into the following Commands:
Maritime Command covered the East and West Coasts.
Air Defence Command operated in Cental and Northern Canada.
Air Material Command administered supply bases.
Training Command was responsible for Training Bases.
Overseas, the Canadian Air Division commanded 4 fighter squadrons and had it's Headquarters in Metz, France.
From a low of only 2 Service Policemen per Air Base in the immediate post war years, the RCAF Service Police increased in strength proportionate to the renewed Air Force. Each Command Headquarters had a Staff Officer Security, with a deputy and several RCAF Policemen under his command. Air Bases each had a Base Security Officer and several shifts of Police. Officers, Warrant Officers and many Senior NCOs attended courses run by the US Air Force Police, US Military Police, and the RCMP. As well as purely military related duties, Air Force Police were also "community cops" working on their respective air bases.
The RCAF Service Police Trade underwent several changes in designation between 1955 and 1966. On the 1st of August, 1955 the trade was renamed "Air Force Police". The trade was renamed to "Military Police" on the 1st of October 1966.